When it comes to car maintenance, changing the oil is one of the easier tasks that you can take on yourself. It’s a simple process that requires few tools, and you’ll end up saving some money in the long run.
What you’ll need: wrench to remove drain plug, oil filter wrench, drain pan, funnel, latex gloves, jack and jack stands or ramps. The first time you change your own oil will be the most costly as you’ll have to buy the tools.
How to Change Your Own Oil
Consult your owner’s manual to see which oil filter, oil type, and the amount of oil you’ll need to change. Most cars require four to five quarts of oil. Also, make sure you buy the correct oil grade for your car.
Here are the steps to change your oil:
- Warm up your car: To ensure that you drain all the old oil out of your engine block, warm it up by driving your car around the block a couple times. You don’t want the oil to be too hot, just warm enough so it thins out.
- Elevate: If using ramps, drive the vehicle onto the ramps. Put blocks of wood behind the non-ramped wheels. If using a jack and jack stands, raise the vehicle with the jack and lower it onto the stands.
- Drain the oil: Locate the engine oil pan underneath your car (it’s large and sags down a bit from the engine area). There’s a drain plug on the bottom edge. Slip the drain pan below.
Unscrew the drain plug with the proper size box end wrench. Let the plug drop into the drain pan so that you don’t burn yourself or spill oil. It will take a few minutes for the oil to drain.
Reinstall the drain plug into the oil pan. Do not over tighten.
- Remove old oil filter: More oil will come out of the filter so be sure to move the oil pan underneath your oil filter. Attach the filter wrench around the filter. The filter gasket should come off with the filter. Wipe the filter mounting area with a clean rag. Swab the housing area with a rag until it’s free of old oil.
- Replace the oil filter: Coat the filter gasket with clean oil. Screw it in, and take caution not to tighten too much. The tightening instructions will be printed on most filters.
- Put in new oil: Remove the oil cap from the top of your car, and place a funnel inside the hole. Pour the new oil into the funnel until you’ve added the amount specified by your owner’s manual. Replace the cap and hand-tighten it.
Now, take your car off the jacks. Let it run to cycle the oil. After a few minutes, turn your car off and check your dipstick to ensure that the levels are where they need to be.
Some people like having someone else change their oil as it is more convenient for them, and mess-free. That’s fine, too. Look around for the best deal on oil changes. If you have a mechanic that you’ve worked with in the past, ask them if they have any specials or coupons. Also, many mechanics anymore have mailing lists; ask to join so that you are aware of monthly specials.
Great Plains Auto Body Omaha & Council Bluffs | Omaha auto repair shop
At Great Plains Auto Body, we’re committed to giving you an unmatched level of service. As a company that’s been family owned and operated for more than 25 years, we’re dedicated to treating our customers as we would treat members of our own family. We’ll keep you informed throughout the entire repair process and make sure you’re satisfied when the job is complete. From estimating and detailing to collision repair and paint services, our ASE-certified mechanics and technicians make sure the job is done right and on time.
AUTO BODY REPAIR
Our workmanship is second-to-none when it comes to complete auto body repair. In addition, we have years of experience in aluminum vehicle repair.
PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR
From hail damage to door dings to everything in between, trust the local experts to remove minor dents and get your car into showroom shape.
PAINT MATCHING & REPAIR
Expect outstanding paint work with our computerized mixing system, environmentally friendly water-based paint technology and downdraft paint/bake booths.
Our computerized laser measuring system and Celette fixture bench will return your vehicle’s structure and frame back to factory specifications.
ON-SITE CAR RENTAL
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is conveniently located on-site at both Omaha locations. You’ll be en route to your destination in no time at all.
We have the latest in diagnostic testing technology. This helps us efficiently determine the right path for your auto body repair.
We offer a professional 24-hour towing service at all three locations. We respond quickly, and handle your vehicle safely and securely.
Stay in the loop regarding your auto body repair with our convenient text messaging system. Real-time updates leave your day worry-free.
We have a great relationship with all of the major insurance companies and can help negotiate your claim to your satisfaction.