How to Change Your Own OilJune 12, 2015
Locked Keys in Your Car? Here Are a Few TipsJune 16, 2015
Most people know the importance of having an emergency kit in your trunk during the winter. However, it’s just as important to have one in your car during the warmer months of the year, too.
There are premade emergency kits available for purchase, but they are expensive. Plus, it’s highly unlikely that the kit would include everything you’d want.
Building a Summer Emergency Kit For Your Trunk
For the summer months, here are some things to keep in your trunk in case of emergencies:
- Cell phone: cell phones have significantly cut down the chance of getting stranded on the side of the road, but don’t count on yours as your only line of defense. Keep a charger handy. In addition to you main phone, have a backup that you can use to call 9-1-1. Cellular carriers are required by law to complete 9-1-1 calls from any cell phone, even they aren’t activated.
- Jumper cables
- Equipment for changing a tire: a jack, an inflated spare tire, a lug nut wrench or tire iron.
- First aid kit: choose one that allows you to treat a range of problems, from small cuts or burns to ones that require major bandaging. Familiarize yourself with the kit.
- Warning light, hazard triangle, or flares: if your vehicle is stuck on the side of the road, it’s crucial that you warn other motorists, especially at night.
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Matches and a lighter
- Water: consider keeping your water in glass containers, and change the water out often.
- Blanket and pillow
- Battery operated radio: in an emergency situation you don’t want to drain your car’s battery by running your car, so keep up to date on weather with a radio that uses batteries.
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- Non-perishable food: energy bars, almonds, tuna pouches, crackers.
- Multi-purpose knife
- A container: a cardboard box or plastic container that will keep all of these items organized and from rolling around in your trunk.
Other things to consider:
- Medications: if you take any medications, make sure to have at least three days’ worth in your emergency kit just in case you become stranded.
- Canned goods and a can opener
- Rope, bungee cord
- Latex gloves, plastic garbage bags
- An extra set of clothing
You probably won’t feel the need to include every item we’ve listed here, but our list will give you a good place to start. Create your kit based on what you have room for in your trunk. While you may never need your emergency kit, remember: it’s always better to be over-prepared!
Great Plains Auto Body Collision Repair Omaha & Council Bluffs
At Great Plains Auto Body, we’re committed to giving you an unmatched level of service. As a company that’s been family owned and operated for more than 25 years, we’re dedicated to treating our customers as we would treat members of our own family. We’ll keep you informed throughout the entire repair process and make sure you’re satisfied when the job is complete. From estimating and detailing to collision repair and paint services, our ASE-certified mechanics and technicians make sure the job is done right and on time.
AUTO BODY REPAIR
Our workmanship is second-to-none when it comes to complete auto body repair. In addition, we have years of experience in aluminum vehicle repair.
PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR
From hail damage to door dings to everything in between, trust the local experts to remove minor dents and get your car into showroom shape.
PAINT MATCHING & REPAIR
Expect outstanding paint work with our computerized mixing system, environmentally friendly water-based paint technology and downdraft paint/bake booths.
Our computerized laser measuring system and Celette fixture bench will return your vehicle’s structure and frame back to factory specifications.
ON-SITE CAR RENTAL
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is conveniently located on-site at both Omaha locations. You’ll be en route to your destination in no time at all.
We have the latest in diagnostic testing technology. This helps us efficiently determine the right path for your auto body repair.
We offer a professional 24-hour towing service at all three locations. We respond quickly, and handle your vehicle safely and securely.
Stay in the loop regarding your auto body repair with our convenient text messaging system. Real-time updates leave your day worry-free.
We have a great relationship with all of the major insurance companies and can help negotiate your claim to your satisfaction.