Temperatures in the next few days are predicted to continue to be the coldest of the winter so far, which increases the risk of carbon monoxide.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide often called the silent killer, is responsible for more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 hospitalizations. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless, making leaks and buildups difficult to notice.
Carbon monoxide enters the air through a variety sources like:
Complicating its detection even more, the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble those of flu, cold or infection.
All could indicate that a person is being poisoned by carbon monoxide. Because these symptoms are often associated with less serious illnesses, many people who are overexposed to carbon monoxide mistakenly think they’re catching a seasonal bug. In many cases, the affected person will lie down or rest to feel better. Some never wake up.
Exposure to carbon monoxide can be especially problematic for young children. Because kids have faster heartbeats and accelerated breathing rates, carbon monoxide can spread through their bodies quickly and poison them in less time than it takes to affect adults.
When cold engines first start, they run rich. The catalytic converter is cold and not converting deadly carbon monoxide (CO) to carbon dioxide (CO2). Concentrations in the exhaust can be more than 80,000 parts per million. Concentrations so large fill the garage with carbon monoxide in a very short time even with the door open. Once the car is backed out of the garage and the garage door closed, large concentrations of gas still remain trapped in the garage. In a house built with an attached garage, part of the gas then seeps into the house where it remains for hours.
Never pre-warm a vehicle indoors
A lot of people assume that one carbon-monoxide detector is adequate for the whole house, but, like smoke detectors, experts say every floor of a building should be fitted with a battery-powered or hardwired carbon-monoxide detector. Battery-powered models are as reliable as the wired ones, as long as the batteries are checked regularly and replaced at least once a year.
We understand the current outbreak is worrying, and we want to take a moment to share the ways we can all help keep the workplace safe, as well as the steps we are taking as an organization.
Great Plains Auto Body has heightened cleaning and all front lobbies are removed all non-essential items. We are wiping down handles, chair handles, doorknobs, etc. to maintain the sanitary of our lobbies.
We are following the guidelines from the CDC in terms of sterilization and cleanliness on our lobbies at all our locations. If you have any questions about the extra measures we are taking at this time, please feel free to give us a call and we can speak with you about your concerns and work to a solution to best facilitate the repair process for all parties.
Thank you for your understanding and your support of our local business!
Wishing everybody safety and good health.