Lowered visibility is a significant factor in a ton of Omaha traffic accidents. Whether the reduced visibility is because of rain, snow or night driving, drivers all too often fail to take adequate precaution. How often have you seen drivers speed by you in blizzard conditions or on snow packed roads? Clearly, driving in Omaha during poor weather significantly increases your risk factor, no matter what the condition of your car is, because the chances of getting into an accident increases. Fortunately, there are precautions you can take to reduce that risk. Below, our team (Great Plains Auto Body – Emmet St) provided 10 Winter Driving Tips for driving safely in winter like conditions. We want to help you and your family to stay safe on the roads.
Even if you can see others, it’s a good idea to turn your lights on to increase your visibility to other motorists. While driving in Omaha headlights let other drivers see you more easily, especially in bad weather.
Even without rain or snow, night driving in Omaha can be more challenging. Night driving accounts for 25% of all driving.
Did you know that:
• Omaha Residents, Slow down
• Stay alert
• Use your headlights
• Increase the following distance between you and the vehicle ahead
• Drive in the middle lanes when it’s raining
• Stay within the tracks of the car ahead of you when there is snow
• Do not follow trucks too closely—their spray reduces vision
• Avoiding driving through puddles
• Check your windshield wipers periodically. New wipers cost between $6 and $25.
• Make sure you have adequate windshield washer fluid.
• Use a headlight restoration kit if your headlights are dim or foggy.
Want more detailed information? Contact us, Great Plains Auto Body is an independent, family owned and operated, collision repair facility providing auto body repair, frame repair, painting touch up and repair services for all makes and models of import and domestic cars. There are three locations; Omaha Metro (Grover Street and Emmet Street) and Council Bluffs, IA that provide Enterprise rental cars while your repairs are completed.