Lowered visibility is a significant factor in a ton of Omaha traffic accidents. Whether the reduced visibility is because of rain, snow or night driving, drivers all too often fail to take adequate precaution. How often have you seen drivers speed by you in blizzard conditions or on snow packed roads? Clearly, driving in Omaha during poor weather significantly increases your risk factor, no matter what the condition of your car is, because the chances of getting into an accident increases. Fortunately, there are precautions you can take to reduce that risk. Below, our team (Great Plains Auto Body – Emmet St) provided 10 Winter Driving Tips for driving safely in winter like conditions. We want to help you and your family to stay safe on the roads.
Turn Your Lights On!
Even if you can see others, it’s a good idea to turn your lights on to increase your visibility to other motorists. While driving in Omaha headlights let other drivers see you more easily, especially in bad weather.
- Always make sure your headlights and taillights are clear of snow.
- Check that all bulbs are working and that headlights are clean and aimed correctly.
- Turn on your headlights in the late afternoon before the sun begins to set. Always use low-beam headlights in fog, rain or snow.
- Saying that, are you ready for winter driving? More accidents happen in the winter and fall because drivers ignore safety precautions. Light bulbs burn out. Make sure you test your lights regularly, and carry spares.
- Being visible to oncoming traffic is important too. Be sure to signal your intention to turn well in advance.
- Clear all snow and ice from your vehicle’s windows, roof, hood, trunk, mirrors, lights and signals. Observe all speed limits and reduce your speed whenever road conditions or visibility are compromised by foul weather. You should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you.
- Don’t pass snow plows and sanding trucks. You’re likely to find the road in front of them worse than the road you left behind.
Visibility at Night
Even without rain or snow, night driving in Omaha can be more challenging. Night driving accounts for 25% of all driving.
Did you know that:
- Traffic death rates are three times greater at night than during the day
- 55% of all driving fatalities occur after dark
- 62% of pedestrian fatalities occur at night
Some tips to stay safe:
• Omaha Residents, Slow down
• Stay alert
• Use your headlights
• Increase the following distance between you and the vehicle ahead
• Drive in the middle lanes when it’s raining
• Stay within the tracks of the car ahead of you when there is snow
• Do not follow trucks too closely—their spray reduces vision
• Avoiding driving through puddles
What should you do now?
• Check your windshield wipers periodically. New wipers cost between $6 and $25.
• Make sure you have adequate windshield washer fluid.
• Use a headlight restoration kit if your headlights are dim or foggy.
Great Plains Auto Body Repair Omaha & Council Bluffs | Auto Body Shop Omaha
At Great Plains Auto Body, we’re committed to giving you an unmatched level of service. As a company that’s been family-owned and operated for more than 25 years, we’re dedicated to treating our customers as we would treat members of our own family. We’ll keep you informed throughout the entire repair process and make sure you’re satisfied when the job is complete. From estimating and detailing to collision repair and paint services, our ASE-certified mechanics and technicians make sure the job is done right and on time.
AUTO BODY REPAIR
Our workmanship is second-to-none when it comes to complete auto body repair. In addition, we have years of experience in aluminum vehicle repair.
PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR
From hail damage to door dings to everything in between, trust the local experts to remove minor dents and get your car into showroom shape.
PAINT MATCHING & REPAIR
Expect outstanding paint work with our computerized mixing system, environmentally friendly water-based paint technology and downdraft paint/bake booths.
Our computerized laser measuring system and Celette fixture bench will return your vehicle’s structure and frame back to factory specifications.
ON-SITE CAR RENTAL
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is conveniently located on-site at both Omaha locations. You’ll be en route to your destination in no time at all.
We have the latest in diagnostic testing technology. This helps us efficiently determine the right path for your auto body repair.
We offer a professional 24-hour towing service at all three locations. We respond quickly, and handle your vehicle safely and securely.
Stay in the loop regarding your auto body repair with our convenient text messaging system. Real-time updates leave your day worry-free.
We have a great relationship with all of the major insurance companies and can help negotiate your claim to your satisfaction.