The question of whether or not a car accident voids the warranty is something that everybody asks when they get into an accident with a new car. This is a fear that everyone has because the warranty is an extremely valuable thing when you buy a car.
Whether or not you have to pay for replacement parts or service during the first few years that you own a vehicle can mean the difference between paying thousands of dollars and paying nothing at all. However, there are only a certain set of circumstances where a car accident can void a warranty.
Does a Car Accident Void the Warranty?
For the most part, the only way that a car accident will void a warranty is
- Salvage title – if your car was in a severe accident and was given a salvage title or declared a total loss, your entire warranty is voided.
- Misuse of the vehicle – including racing/competition of any type, overloading the vehicle or off-roading.
- Environmental damage
- Altered odometer/mileometer
- Neglect – for example; going years without putting oil in your vehicle. Regular servicing and health checks are important to pick up on repairs or fluids needed.
- Use of improper fluids
- Modifications – there is a lot of ‘grey area’ in this aspect of warranty coverage, so be sure to check your owner’s manual.
Used Car Dealerships
However, there are some circumstances where a warranty may be voided if the car is in an accident. This is usually only present in warranties that are offered by used car dealerships. If you are buying a used car, you want to check your warranty carefully to make sure that parts and labor are not voided if you are in an accident.
Some dealerships that sell used cars attempt to protect themselves in this way. But if you are cognizant of this and check your warranty carefully before you buy, this should not be a problem. Most of the time, getting into a vehicle accident may require that you pay for the damage, but it will not usually void a warranty.
Great Plains Auto Body Services
At Great Plains Auto Body, we’re committed to giving you an unmatched level of service. As a company that’s been family owned and operated for more than 25 years, we’re dedicated to treating our customers as we would treat members of our own family. We’ll keep you informed throughout the entire repair process and make sure you’re satisfied when the job is complete. From estimating and detailing to collision repair and paint services, our ASE-certified mechanics and technicians make sure the job is done right and on time. And, in addition to our extensive list of certifications, we’re the only Mercedes-Certified Collision Center in Nebraska. Most important, we offer a lifetime warranty on ALL of our work.